Supplies can be found at Jerry's Artarama:
Charvin Brand Oil Paints are available exclusively at Jerry's Artarama. Other good Jerry's oil brands are Lukas 1865, or Richeson oils (online only, not in store). If you use Acrylics, check out the Matisse Structure, or Lukas brand, also at Jerry's. Askew Taylor on Glenwood South carries Richeson 'Shiva' paints which Nicole also uses.
OIL PAINT COLORS:
Charvin equivalent names are in (parenthesis)
• Alizarin Crimson (Charvin - Magenta/Rubine Lake)
• Cadmium Red Medium (Charvin - French Red Medium OR French Red Light)
• Cadmium Yellow OR Cadmium Yellow Light (Charvin - French Primary Yellow)
• Ultramarine Blue
• Magnesium Blue or Cerulean (Hue OK) - (Charvin Manganese brand comes in a large tube)
• Titanium White
ACRYLIC PAINT COLORS
• Same colors as above, there are many brands at Jerry's: Lukas, Golden, Matisse, etc.
** If you are buying Charvin brand, please substitute Ultramarine Blue Deep for regular ultramarine.
BLUES: Please do not bring any Thalo Colors.
YELLOWS: - No"lemon, citron, or pale yellow". Cad Yellow Medium is OK, but you must also have a straight yellow Cadmium (or light)
For more advanced classes, you can also bring other colors that you regularly paint with
** SUPPLY KIT: Students can also purchase an OIL supply kit from the gallery for $45 (a $90 value) which includes 6 tubes of paints (equivalent to above), 3 filbert brushes, paper palette and the gallery will provide the canvases you will use throughout the class + solvent. (These kits can be re-used in subsequent classes, students will only need to buy their own canvases, the gallery also has canvas boards for sale).
Call or email for more info!
• For Beginner Painting & Beyond Beginner, bring the following quantity and sizes in canvas boards (stretched canvas are not necessary):
• 3 @ 6 x 8
• 1 or 2 @ 8 x 10 or 9 x 12
• 1 or 2 @ 11 x 14 and 12x16 (it's always better to have too many canvas than too little)
For Acrylic Painters: SoHo brand boards are best, available at Jerry's - come in packs of 5
For Oil Painters: Jerry's brand canvas panels, NOT SoHo. Oil and acrylic absorb differently into different brands of boards.
• For All Other Workshops:
The gallery will email you info on what size/type of canvas to bring.
PALETTES: (Please no plastic plates or anything smaller than 9 x 12, no "round" plastic palettes with pre-measured mixing holes (like watercolor palettes).
• Oil or Acrylic: A disposable waxy paper palette, you can also purchase a sealable box to store the paper in, it makes storage and transporting easier.
• For Acrylic Painters...the best option is a "stay wet palette" a Painters Pal Palette 9 x 12 at Jerry's they also come 12 x 16. It comes with a sta-wet pad that keeps your paints from drying out.
A combo of Filberts (rounded) and Brights (square/rectangle) in a variety of sizes (natural bristle for oils), for example sizes #2, 4, 6, 8, 10.
Jerry's has great sales on these brands: ProStroke Premium White Bristols and the Creative Mark series. Acrylic Painters: Pro Stroke for Acrylics work well. There is also an acrylic brush kit for a set of 8.
LOW ODOR SOLVENT ONLY, NO TURPENTINE.
Gamblin Gamasol or Turpenoid only.
ACRYLIC Painters: Please bring a small container for water to wash your brushes.
EASELS: We provide easels for Beginner and Beyond Beginner classes. For other classes please bring your own easel....if you don't have one please contact the gallery to reserve one. If you have difficulty standing you may bring a table easel and we have stools, chairs.
• Paper Towels
•Apron or smock
• Please make sure you have a carboard box, paper or newspaper to protect your car when you take you paintings home